Wednesday, September 12, 2012

9/8/12: Day 9, Cairo

My last day in Cairo began with a trip back to the government building where Mohamed got his picture taken for his ID card; this milestone is such a big deal that Mohamed's aunt only half-jokingly said he should slaughter a lamb in celebration.  My day took a very colorful turn when we returned to Aziz's apartment/studio, where I picked up my costumes.  He proceeded to give me and Hazem, the photographer, elaborate advice on our artistic careers.  Interestingly, without asking any questions to gather data about my dancing ability or experience, he recommended that I open a dance studio and teach students.  Hey, I don't need any convincing along those lines!
Unfortunately, Egypt Air decided to strike for the first time in their history, so our flight from Cairo to Hurghada was canceled.  Mohamed Saad offered enthusiastically to drive us to El Gouna.  On the way, we saw pigeons, rabbits and ducks for sale.  And no, they are not pets:  these crates were situated right outside of the restaurant.
One hour away from Cairo is a town on the gulf of Suez (which is part of the Red Sea) called Ain Sokhna.  This protected cove is backed by dramatic mountains and faced with soft blue water, and a complete escape from the crushing crowds of Cairo.  We stopped for the view and for our dinner.

Dinner was prepared by Movenpick chefs, and it was like everything else Swiss -- expertly prepared.  The grilled seafood dish was so good that I venture to say that it's the best I've ever tasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.