Sherin and Mohamed Saad insisted that we visit Marassi on the North Coast, so we stopped there on our way back to Cairo. Upon arrival, I could see why they love it: blue sky, white sand and azure water are only two and a half hours from metropolitan Cairo.
This part of the desert used to be under water, so the limestone is very striking.Mohamed and I walked out to a promontory where he had visited more than two decades ago; it was breathtakingly gorgeous, so I can see why he remembered the exact shade of blue so many years later.
Lunch at the clubhouse was tasty. I was so hungry after walking in the sand and swimming in the sea that I didn't even mind the cold hamburger patty.
Dinner at a restaurant overlooking the water was fantastic: we pointed to the fresh seafood that we wanted, and the chef asked us to decide how we wanted it to be prepared. These huge prawns were grilled to a perfect level of smokiness.
Even though I was stuffed from dinner, Mohamed Saad's friend Shadi generously bought "lomat el aadi" ("judge's bread bites") for us after taking us on a yacht ride. They tasted like very delicate doughnuts holes. I found it fascinating that the marina where we enjoyed our dinner and dessert looked and functioned just like any other seaside boardwalk; these bread bites could have easily been funnel cakes in the States!
And just when I thought I would burst, Mohamed Saad surprised us with a fruit basket creation that he put together. The fruit smelled so sweet and looked so luscious that I just had to have some. Have I mentioned that vacation is not a good time to go on a diet?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.