Sunday, September 9, 2012

8/31/12: Day 1, Cairo

After relaxing in El Gouna for a week and a half, it was time to see the two biggest cities in Egypt:  Cairo and Alexandria.  After only four hours of sleep cut short by an early morning flight, I wandered off the plane from Hurghada to Cairo in a sleepy daze.  And then I promptly woke up when I saw the Khufu pyramid stretch out into the sky in front of me.
Here are all three Giza pyramids, built by father, son and grandson.
Mohamed and I took a camel ride near the pyramids.  Aw, they're kissing!
I then asked the owner if I could feed my camel.  I don't know who was more excited -- me or the camel.
The sphinx was next in line, and I tried to play some camera tricks.
After a stop at a local perfume essence shop, we went to the Cairo Museum.  I was amazed by King Tutankhamen's jewelry, which was made in intricate and delicate designs of gold and precious stones.  I was more than a little creeped out by the mummies, but I was thrilled to see these pharaohs (such as Ramses II) in eternal repose. 
I was so exhausted at this point that I conked out in the minibus.  And I awoke another dream come true:  Hanan Mahmoud's belly dancing costume factory!  I was so excited to choose among the full spectrum of colors, fabrics and sparkles; I chose two ready-made costumes and ordered a custom one.  Pictures will follow in a later post!  The last event of the day was a visit to the Cairo Orchestra, and it was heavenly.  I love Arabic orchestral music, and hearing the best of the best in Cairo itself was even better than I expected.
We got back to the hotel very late and I decided to go with "fatierh" for dinner.  The sweet version, which followed the savory sausage one, was creamy and rich.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.