Wednesday, September 12, 2012

9/6/12: Day 7, Cairo

We left Marassi very early in the morning to head back to Cairo.  We spent a long morning navigating the labyrinthian structure of Egyptian bureaucracy (Mohamed was working on getting a new ID card, which is essential for every possible transaction you can think of needing to conduct).  I was so tired from waking up early and battling the dusty heat that I asked to take a nap at the Mena House, to which we were lucky enough to return again.  After a three-hour nap, I was ready for action.  First stop:  dinner at the Mena House restaurant.  (I'll note here that Egyptians consider a meal at 6 o'clock in the evening "lunch"!)  I ordered the braised duck, which was stuffed with cinnamon, cloves, cloves, pepper, and other deliciously intense spices that I couldn't identify.  The pyramid next to the duck -- which was I thought was a cute touch -- was made of very flavorful bulgur.
For dessert, I chose something exotic:  date and camel milk ice cream.  I was not disappointed, as the dates lent a warm sweetness that paired perfectly with the mild creaminess of the camel milk.  I would definitely order it again.
After this delectable pairing, I asked to visit another top belly dancing costume designer.  Aziz is a Lebanese designer who arrived to Egypt via Greece and Paris; his costumes are uniquely beautiful because of his strong vision, which exhibits influence from all parts of the Mediterranean.  I knew as soon as I walked into his apartment/studio that I would buy at least one costume, and I ended up selecting two.  Both are striking in their use of fabric, color and sequins.

We then headed to the main event of our day:  Dina's show at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Cairo.  I learned that this club is the most exclusive in town (I saw two sheikhs who had intimidatingly large bodyguards with them), and is the only restaurant at which Dina regularly performs.  Oh, and just in case you don't know, Dina is that #1 belly dancer in Egypt and arguably the world right now.  The food was delectable.
Dina is a consummate performer:  she was extremely musical in her dancing, looked at every table at some point throughout her show, kept up the visual interest by changing costumes four times in 45 minutes, and interacted charmingly with her band and singers.
I was able to speak with and take a picture with Dina after her show, and she was very sweet.  She asked me where I danced; when I said Northern California, she said that she had enjoyed her trips to San Francisco very much.  I invited to come visit with me on her next trip.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.