I am thrilled to say that I've crossed off my highest-rated item on my bucket list -- you know, the list of things you definitely want to do before you kick the bucket. More on that later!
Saturday started with a trip to the barber shop. Sherin asked the staff to give Mohamed the works, and I quickly realized they don't mess around there. The package includes a shampoo, cut, shave, exfoliation, facial threading (much like eyebrow threading that is a technique used to shape brows), mud mask, and steam facial. I was really impressed. Between the coconut massage and this process, Mohamed has experienced more spa treatments than I have had in my entire life. Oh, and Sherin convinced Mohamed to dye his hair a darker shade of brown, so Mohamed definitely left with "el new look" (as my Egyptian friends would call it). Mohamed's hair looked sharp and his skin was undeniably glowing -- so much so that I wished for once I were a guy and could have gone through that routine.
We then stepped outside in the downtown Hurghada heat to make our way to a quick lunch. By the way, the feel of Hurghada is nothing like that of El Gouna -- the latter feels tranquil and restorative, and the former feels metropolitan and touristy. In fact, Hurghada reminds me a bit of Waikiki because one can easily forget that the beautiful water is just steps away once one turns into the busy thoroughfare.The reason Mohamed and Sherin got "prettified" at barber shop was that we were headed to Sherin's friend's wedding. And boy, was it a celebration. The music never stopped; the dancing almost never stopped. I was so excited to see the bride and groom enter to the sound of the zaffe, which is a traditional wedding band. Instruments include drums and mizmar, which is a conical wind instrument (to the left of the drum here). In particular, I had never before heard a mizmar live, only on recordings, and I have always loved their distinctively bold sound. I hadn't realized how very loud they are in person!
Once we made our way upstairs to the ballroom for the reception (yes, all the aforementioned revelry was just in the lobby area), we were greeted with a gorgeous set-up.
The buffet was amazing. I almost passed out with excitement when I saw the pastries.
There was even a whole lamb! The meat was fork-tender and falling off the bone -- just the way I like it.
The mastermind behind this beautiful event was Mohamed Saad, who is a very good friend of Sherin's. He said that he usually coordinates events in Cairo -- about one every two weeks -- and that this wedding was his first in Hurghada. I think he did such a good job that it won't be his last!
And here Mohamed, Sherin and I are with the bride and groom. I was trying very hard not to step on her beautifully sparkly dress.
One thing I have noticed about Egypt is that there are a lot of little kids everywhere at all hours of the day. This wedding was no exception, and they were so cute and well-behaved.And did I mention that the dancing almost never stopped?
So back to the bucket list. Sherin had arranged with the groom and Mohamed Saad that I would surprise everyone with a second show (a local dancer performed earlier in the evening). Ever since I have gotten serious about belly dancing several years ago, I have dreamed of performing in Egypt because it's every American belly dancer's dream to do so. If you had asked me a year ago if I had thought it were possible for me in the near future, I would have flatly issued a response in the negative. But there I was, in the midst of crossing of item #1 of my bucket list. Even though I do four to five shows every week back in California, I admit that I was nervous before and after the show because I wanted it to go well; I was fully aware that anything less could have made Sherin and Mohamed Saad (not to mention "my" Mohamed and the groom) look bad. But there I was, and the key people seemed to be pleased with my show.
I am elated and grateful that I had this opportunity to dance and celebrate with old friends and new friends. Here's to many more!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.