Thursday, August 9, 2012

08/09/2012: Is It Safe?

As I have been telling people about my trip to Egypt, the one question I have consistently been asked is "is it safe?"

For those of you who may not have been paying close attention, there has been -- to put it lightly and in unscientific terms -- a lot going on over there.  A truncated timeline below is courtesy of Wikipedia.

January 25, 2011
The "Day of Revolt" nationwide protests against the government of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak began.  Tens of thousands of protestors gathered in Cairo, with thousands more in cities throughout Egypt.


February 11, 2011
At 6:00 pm local time, Mubarak's resignation was announced; the Supreme Council of Egyptian Armed Forces would assume leadership of the country.

February 13, 2011
The Supreme Council of Egyptian Armed Forces dissolved Egypt’s parliament, and suspended the constitution.  The council also declared that it would hold power for six months or until elections could be held, whichever came first.  Major protests subsided; however, uncertainty remained and many pledged to keep returning to Tahrir Square until all demands had been met.

February
29, 2012
The Egyptian election commission announced that the first round of presidential elections will be held on May 23 and that, if necessary, a runoff will be held on June 16 and 17.
 
June 24, 2012
Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohamed Morsi is declared winner of Egypt's first free presidential election since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak by Egypt’s electoral commission and is the first Islamist elected to be head of an Arab state.

So, I guess the real question is whether I'm worried.  The answer is no.  After all, millions of people live there; I am just a passing tourist.  It also really helps that I will be going with Mohamed and that we'll be spending much of our physical travels with his best friend, who is a local.
 

Plus, we'll be staying on the Red Sea (Hurghada is approximately 250 miles from Cairo). 





Don't worry, Mom -- I will be safe!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.