Thursday, October 4, 2012

10/4/12: Overall Conclusions

Upon returning to California, I was asked by many people what I had learned.  Here are my Top 5 overall conclusions and tidbits that I don't want to forget.
  1. Egypt is like a tapestry with unique and colorful threads running throughout, and I am really glad I got to experience three of the many facets that exist.  Specifically, Cairo feels very Egyptian, Alexandria very Mediterranean, and El Gouna (Red Sea) like an international resort.  Of the three, I could see myself in El Gouna:  it is well-organized and clean, the weather is warm and dry, and the general feel is a bit more relaxed.
  2. Egyptian men seem to be bred for marriage and family life -- the young men I saw would engage with babies (like making funny faces) and most of the ones I talked to asked me, only half-jokingly, to help find an "arusa" (bride) for them.  So if you're tired of the players whom you seem to be stuck with in the States, a trip to Egypt might be in order!
  3. I spoke to a teenager who was frustrated with Egyptian social norms, but I've also run across women in the U.S. who are frustrated with American social norms.  That got me thinking:  women seem to have a wider range of options in the U.S., but that means we're stuck with the consequences if we don't make the right choices; women may be constrained to a limited set of accepted behaviors in Egypt, but that means they can more easily find security and back-up systems.  I guess this is a "pick your poison" situation.
  4. The funniest thing I saw in Egypt was Sherin's extremely loyal use of tanning oil.  Let me clarify that Sherin is from Aswan and tans like crazy on his own.  He doesn't need any help in that department at all!
  5. I was surprised to find out that I could find probably gigs as a belly dancer in Egypt.  The wedding at which I danced was the first one the Hilton Hurghada had ever had; they received multiple requests for weddings afterwards, and two were added to the books.  I was asked if I could dance at them...to which I said, "if they are scheduled during the Christmas/New Year timeframe, I could fly back because I'll have time off from work!"  Sherin also said that he would let me dance at Badawya.  Let the fantasizing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.